No Greater Love

Monday, January 2, 2012

Just a Quick Update

A lot of people have asked where we stand in the process, so I thought I'd write a quick note to tell you what we know.  It's so hard to wait, but Jerm keeps reminding me that it's not about us.  Well, maybe it's not about him, but it's definitely about me.  I'm TOTALLY kidding!!  We've talked a lot lately about a mom's heart, and how men can never fully understand what a mom feels for her children.  I truly feel like it's just something God placed in women.

As I've mentioned before, I know that the best thing for our adopted children would be to remain with their biological family, but sometimes that just can't happen.  So, knowing that there are two sweet babies in Africa who need a mommy, hurts my heart.  I can't wait to have them in our home so that we can love them, and give them a chance to have a life outside of growing up in an orphanage, or living on the streets in Addis Ababa.  (Cue Jerm:  "It's not about us, be patient.")

I've never really been the kind of person who needs a plan.  I usually just go with the flow.  Though I feel like with this adoption, I've kind of felt like I needed to know the plan.  So, a week or so ago, I emailed our Family Coordinator at America World (our agency).  It went a little something like this:

"Hi Jennifer,

Is there any way you can give us an idea of how long you think we'll wait for a referral?  The listed wait times are for infants only, right?  

We just noticed that there were a few that changed their requests, and moved over to the siblings list (based on the Yahoo group list).  We wondered if there was a ballpark estimate of how long it could take.

Thank you!

Jeremy and Kami"




"Jeremy and Kami,

Thank you for checking in about this. The wait times are based on infant referrals, yes, but because of the changes in the process in Ethiopia this year, we are encouraging families to set their expectations for the same timeframe as infants, which is currently 10-16 months for males and 11-18 months for females. 

Because we don't have a good trend on which to estimate a timeframe for siblings, it is difficult to give a ballpark estimate for your wait time. I would encourage you to set your heart's expectation to be closer to 18 months, but to plan financially for a referral as soon as ten months. 

If we see that the wait times are changing, I will be sure to let you know. 

Have a great evening!

Jennifer Allen | Family Coordinator
America World Adoption"


So, 10-18 months from October 21, 2011, we should have a referral for the two children who will join our family.  That seems like an eternity, but I know God has it all worked out, and after all, it's not about us.  ;)  I'm hoping we have a referral by Christmas.  I'll just keep crossing the months off of the calendar.  Two down, sixteen to go!


In the meantime, we're enjoying every second with the three beautiful boys God has entrusted to us already.  They are such great kids, and they're growing so fast.  We are beyond blessed, and thankful for all of you who have shown us so much support.  


God is so good...He's so good to me!








2 comments:

  1. I love your heart through this whole process. Being a very impatient person myself--yes, it IS about me--I understand the antsy feeling that there must be something you can do to move things along. The thing I'm trying to learn and operate under is God IS doing something on my behalf and I just can't see it right now. What fun it will be to look back and maybe see how He's unfolded the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two little babies will be very lucky to get such a fabulous mommy! I'm kind of impatient on your behalf, so you're doing a stellar job keeping it under control. God is preparing your babies to join your family as we speak -- what an awesome thing!

    ReplyDelete